IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was signed. It presented a theory of fair government:
that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed
And listed the ways the king had violated this ideal. Today, many of them apply to another government: ICANN, the closest thing there is to an Internet government. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world:
- They have taken away the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
- They have called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
- They have dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness thei invasions on the rights of the people.
- They have picked Judges with strong bias.
- They have erected a multitude of New Offices and Comittees (1, 2, 3).
- They have combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving their Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
- For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent;
- For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury;
- For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments;
- For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
How much longer will we put up with this? Must we wait until, like England, they have “plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people”? Some might argue we are already there. It’s time for to take control away from these tyrants who govern us only to increase their own power and wealth.